Ithaca Fire Department credits a quick-thinking Good Samaritan for helping keep a small fire from destroying a Linn Street home on Friday morning.
A release from IFD says a contractor working near the 300 block of Linn Street smelled smoke and found a fire “burning up the back porch of the two-story house” at 308 Linn Street. “He grabbed a fire hose and began to knock down what fire he could,” says IFD.
Firefighters quickly responded to the scene after the call came in at about 10:40am reporting smoke and flames at the back of the house. They were able to completely extinguish the fire.
Even though Lt. Thomas T. Basher Jr. of IFD tells us there were smoke detectors in the house, firefighters found an occupant in the home who was unaware of the fire out back.
IFD says the cause of the fire “appears to be related to a carelessly discarded cigarette.”