“Poorly discarded cigarettes” are to blame for a Friday morning porch fire whose “outcome could have been far worse,” says a statement from Ithaca Fire Department.
IFD tells us residents noticed smoke coming from the porch of 314 Farm Street in Ithaca’s Fall Creek neighborhood around 8:45 this morning, and called Tompkins County 911 when they couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.
Firefighters as well as Ithaca Police Department and Bangs Ambulance responders reached the scene within a few minutes, to find smoke coming from under the porch. Police officers worked to account for all occupants and interview residents “while firefighters searched the building and began to remove the porch framework,” according to IFD. One person found inside “was assisted out by the Fire Department.”
According to the Ithaca Fire Department, “the cause of the fire was determined to be poorly discarded cigarettes that ignited the wall boards.”
While “no one was injured and only minor damage occurred,” Lt. Thomas T. Basher Jr. tells us “the outcome could have been far worse.” He urges residents to be careful when discarding smoking materials “and be sure that they are fully extinguished when done. Smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths in our country,” Basher says.